[ubuntu-art] Screenshots @ Ubuntu.com

Ivanka Majic ivanka.majic at canonical.com
Thu Nov 18 17:04:39 GMT 2010

Sergei, sorry I must have been writing my reply as yours came in!

On 18/11/10 15:04, ?????? wrote:
>     I do not know the intent or the desired outcome of the authors of
>     "screenshots.debian.net <http://screenshots.debian.net>", but
>     drawing a conclusion from the URL I assume the
>     desire was to offer Debian users a method to showcase their desktop.
> No. In fact, it's a repository of /application/ screenshots. It's
> intended to give you some general impression about an app before you
> install it, nothing more. I already complained about the name in a
> parallel thread.
I agree. This is all about the packages, the apps that people can use
and they can use them on distros other than Ubuntu.
>     * The most pressing issue is screenshots may not be current and
>     reflect what
>     is being offered. In addition, there is no easy method (?) to
>     expire an
>     image and/or contact the submitter.
> Outdated screenshots of an app will be quicky updated by fans of this
> application. Expiring an image is a matter of one click (and admin
> review, which is very swift at the moment). Moreover, screenshot
> requests from client apps can be made (or already are)
> version-specific, e.g. Lucid users will see the screenshot for the
> version they have and not the version from Maverick repo.
I think as part of a campaign we would be encouraging exactly that - the
fans of an application to upload more screenshots!
>     * The Software Centre is package centric and in reality a package
>     may be an
>     aggregate of several functional deliverables. Theme packages are a
>     good
>     example of this.
> Synaptic is package-centric. Software Center is more
> application-centric and I hope it will improve over time. And I've
> never seen anyone posting screencasts of their themes - only screenshots.
>     * In today’s world a graphic image is just one way to deliver
>     information.
>     The current solution does not support alternatives such as videos
>     in the
>     form of a screen cast.
> The intention of screenshot is to quickly give an impression about the
> application. It's faster and less bandwidth-consuming (read: cheaper)
> to install the app than to watch a screencast of it.
Excellent point! Part of the Software Centre's role in life is to show
how easy it is to get and use apps.

Ivanka Majic'
Creative Strategy Lead

Canonical Design Team