[ubuntu-art] Screenshots @ Ubuntu.com

Ivanka Majic ivanka.majic at canonical.com
Thu Nov 18 17:04:39 GMT 2010

Sergei, sorry I must have been writing my reply as yours came in!

On 18/11/10 15:04, ?????? wrote:

>     I do not know the intent or the desired outcome of the authors of
>     "screenshots.debian.net <http://screenshots.debian.net>", but
>     drawing a conclusion from the URL I assume the
>     desire was to offer Debian users a method to showcase their desktop.
>
> No. In fact, it's a repository of /application/ screenshots. It's
> intended to give you some general impression about an app before you
> install it, nothing more. I already complained about the name in a
> parallel thread.

I agree. This is all about the packages, the apps that people can use
and they can use them on distros other than Ubuntu.

>     * The most pressing issue is screenshots may not be current and
>     reflect what
>     is being offered. In addition, there is no easy method (?) to
>     expire an
>     image and/or contact the submitter.
>
> Outdated screenshots of an app will be quicky updated by fans of this
> application. Expiring an image is a matter of one click (and admin
> review, which is very swift at the moment). Moreover, screenshot
> requests from client apps can be made (or already are)
> version-specific, e.g. Lucid users will see the screenshot for the
> version they have and not the version from Maverick repo.
I think as part of a campaign we would be encouraging exactly that - the
fans of an application to upload more screenshots!

>     * The Software Centre is package centric and in reality a package
>     may be an
>     aggregate of several functional deliverables. Theme packages are a
>     good
>     example of this.
>
> Synaptic is package-centric. Software Center is more
> application-centric and I hope it will improve over time. And I've
> never seen anyone posting screencasts of their themes - only screenshots.
>
>     * In today’s world a graphic image is just one way to deliver
>     information.
>     The current solution does not support alternatives such as videos
>     in the
>     form of a screen cast.
>
> The intention of screenshot is to quickly give an impression about the
> application. It's faster and less bandwidth-consuming (read: cheaper)
> to install the app than to watch a screencast of it.

Excellent point! Part of the Software Centre's role in life is to show
how easy it is to get and use apps.

Ivanka

--
Ivanka Majic'