[ubuntu-art] dust is good

Laurence Diver laurence.diver at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 11:26:16 BST 2008

> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:41:09 +0800
> From: Kido Mariano <greasedbolt at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-art] dust is good
> To: Discussion on Ubuntu artwork <ubuntu-art at lists.ubuntu.com>
>

>> I see. Does Dust work on Hardy the same way as on 8.10? If so I might be able to find some
>> workaround without having to install Ibex but to handle on Hardy?
>> Erno
>>

> To use on Hardy, you'll have to install murrine from svn; use the
> snapshot from https://launchpad.net/~kwwii/+archive
>
> Thanks. :D
>
> Kido

Thanks for this, I have installed Dust (to replace Shiki-Colors) and
used it for a couple of days.

Overall I love the theme, it looks very polished and it's very
easy-going on the eyes.

I have a couple of observations to make:

1. I think the scrollbar theme is unintuitive.  At present the scrollbar
is dark while the background is light; the same colour as the arrow
buttons at the top and bottom.  This doesn't look right to me.  More
than once I have clicked the light part and attempted to drag it.  The
bar which moves within the scrollbar should be the same colour as the
arrows, and the background should be separate to differentiate between
the buttons and the moving bar.  Well, they don't have to be the same
colour, but at any rate there should be a better differentiation.

2. I'm not sure about the 'glow' on the maximise/minimise/restore/close
buttons.  I can't help but think it looks a little like an afterthought
-- like a simple glow was applied and a box was ticked.  The buttons on
this screenshot look crisper and cleaner to my mind:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/DustTheme?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=ubuntudust.jpg

3. Banshee has incorrect text colours for the now playing area:
http://i36.tinypic.com/16c4747.png (not a heart-stopping bug, but a bug
nonetheless).

Anyway I don't pretend to be an expert.  I'm just giving my thoughts!
Love the theme, and I'll certainly be using it for the next little while.

Am I correct in thinking that by adding Ken Wimer's PPA to my repo list
I'll always get the most recent Dust?  I was a bit confused by the need
to add the PPA when both Murrine SVN and Dust are provided as .debs on
his launchpad page.

-laurence