[ubuntu-art] gtk theme

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 18:15:38 GMT 2008

Sorry, second time I've posted this thought here, but I think the detail
has too big an impact to be ignored.

+ For Human Clearlooks: Selected widget marker is very visible, which is
good for accessibility. It also blends very well with the theme by
taking the unusual move of not using a black dotted line, but a gummy
rectangle. The black dotted rectangle to mark selected widget has been
the norm for eternity, and really looks terrible. Unfortunately, certain
things (eg: gnome-panel) still have the dotted line for some reason, but
if you play around with a check box or just tabbing through a window,
the difference is very visible. I think that this is good for drawing
attention to the possibility (that GTK makes tabbing through windows
magically possible with every application under the sun!), and also acts
as a nice bit of decoration to draw special attention to the widgets
that are selected by default. Otherwise, when somebody is unaware of the
keyboard shortcuts and has not noticed that a particular widget is
selected, bad things can happen! For example, (granted, this is a long
stretch) somebody could accidentally restart his computer by pressing
Enter while reading the "Updates require a restart" message. More
realistically, somebody who relies on those keyboard shortcuts really
has to hunt to find the location of the standard dotted line, while the
gummy rectangle is clearly visible on first glance.

Bye,
-Dylan McCall