[ubuntu-art] gtk theme

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Mar 3 17:05:17 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:29 AM, Kenneth Wimer <kwwii at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>     Human Clearlooks (#2):
>     - menubar different colour to everything else
>     - gradient buttons instead of glossy
>     - no prelight of scrollbars
>     - no colour inside sliders
>     - checkboxes not obviously checked
>     + but toggle buttons are much more obvious
>     - don't like tab gradients
>     + but colour is ok
>     - progress bars look like tanks, no markers

 - In window list in the bottom panel, active window is too high
contrast, giving the feeling that there is something that needs your
attention. Windows that do need your attention are given just the most
subtle of color variations from the other inactive windows making it
easy to miss windows trying to alert you.
 - (my opinion) The orange "cap" on the active tab of a tabbed control
has a much thicker border than the murrine - imho, the murrine's thin
top border looks a little nicer.

>     Human Murrine (#3):
>     - lines between menu bar and toolbars, and toolbars and rest of
>       window; not urgent to remove
>     ? menu bar is very strange
>     + but the menus themselves look great with the gutter
>     - quite square in shape, rounded is more pleasing to the eye
>     - progress bars are tanks, no markers, and not inset
>     - sliders also not inset
>     + but filled
>     + obviously checked
>     - but white
>     - toggle button isn't obvious at all, quite nasty in fact
>     + tabs have no gradient and gutter colours
>     - no scrollbar prelight
>     - entire scrollbar coloured

 - Scrollbars are too high contrast (try using eclipse or another
program with lots of scrollable regions)
 - Something glitchy about the transparent window borders, most
noticably the bottom border.
   When two inactive windows bottoms are vertically alligned and
slightly overlapping the transparency can cause it to look like the
top window has something wrong with it. I'll try to capture a
screenshot.
 - Inactive window titlebar transparency is too transparent. Ideally
there could be a non-transparent blur around the text to make it more
readable when multiple windows are layered. Currently it looks messy.
 - too little contrast between active and inactive windows in the
panel's window list.

All three have various problems in firefox 3. Is it possible to have
transparent regions for the buttons? Human clearlooks' buttons look a
little nicer than the murrine.The white squared corners kind of ruin
the effect.

I saw some screenshots somewhere where the default button had a bit of
a prominent outline color causing it to stand out nicely. By "default
button" I mean when you have several buttons to choose from and one
will be the default if you press enter. It usually has some kind of
outline and emboldened text. In murrine I don't *think* there's an
outline at all. In human clearlooks there definitely is no outline. In
human there is a slightly darker outline compared to non-default
buttons. I have a general rule of thumb in my designs that things that
are important should not use subtle differences to set them apart. I
use subtilty for power-user types of things.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode