[ubuntu-art] gtk theme

xl cheese xl_cheese at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 15:40:37 GMT 2008

It seems as though these comments are based on an older version of clearlooks.  You will need to the latest clearlooks version for some of the items to be fixed. The gtkrc is calling variables that do not exist in the old versions.  See comments below.

!!!!  = Easy Fix
***  = Can't fix.  Needs gtk-engine code change

> From: kwwii at ubuntu.com> To: ubuntu-art at lists.ubuntu.com> Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:29:30 +0100> Subject: [ubuntu-art] gtk theme> > Hi all,> > I guess that everyone noticed the change in gtk theme (we are using murrine at > the moment). I also included a clearlooks theme as well and we'll test that > in a couple of days). Both themes definitely need improvement if they are > going to replace Ubuntu Looks which, although it does have minor bugs, has a > definte look and is quite well polished. With an eye to the future, here is a > list of +'s and -'s for each theme. In many cases the -'s can be easily > solved ...feel free to help :-)> >  Human Ubuntu Looks (#1):>    - lines between menu bar, toolbars and windows are bad; but we don't>      have to get rid of them just yet>    + we like the obviously ticked checkboxes and radio buttons>    + and that the tick from the checkbox is larger than the box>    - toggle button doesn't share the obviousness>    + liked the markers in the progress bars>    + liked the inset tray look of sliders>    + liked the filled insides of sliders>    + liked the prelight colour of scrollbars>    + liked tab colours and no gradient> + selected/active light orange bg (menu's, etc) color is perfect > >    Human Clearlooks (#2):>    - menubar different colour to everything else
!!!! Sounds like an out dated version.
>    - gradient buttons instead of glossy
!!!! Search and replace GUMMY with GLOSSY
>    - no prelight of scrollbars
*** Clearlooks does not support this.  I actually opened a bug recently.
  >    - no colour inside sliders
*** Clearlooks does not support this.
>    - checkboxes not obviously checked
***  Not much you can do.
>    + but toggle buttons are much more obvious>    - don't like tab gradients
!!!!  Need new version of clearlooks for GUMMY tabs.  they have a bar across the top.
>    + but colour is ok
>    - progress bars look like tanks, no markers
***  Not much you can do. > >    Human Murrine (#3):>    - lines between menu bar and toolbars, and toolbars and rest of>      window; not urgent to remove>    ? menu bar is very strange>    + but the menus themselves look great with the gutter>    - quite square in shape, rounded is more pleasing to the eye>    - progress bars are tanks, no markers, and not inset>    - sliders also not inset>    + but filled>    + obviously checked>    - but white>    - toggle button isn't obvious at all, quite nasty in fact>    + tabs have no gradient and gutter colours>    - no scrollbar prelight>    - entire scrollbar coloured> > -- > ubuntu-art mailing list> ubuntu-art at lists.ubuntu.com> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-art