[ubuntu-art] Whats Up with This?

Julian Oliver julian at selectparks.net
Tue Jul 1 13:57:23 BST 2008

..on or around Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 03:27:16PM +0300 SorinN wrote:
> regarding:
> > See the complaints? We cannot let this happen. This theme is even worse
> > then the default of Hardy....
>
> 1. Well my question is about "worse" word. What is so worse .. ?
>
> 2. indeed some things could be improved. Scrollbars  are almost
> invisible - which is not good - always you have to loose 1 or 2
> seconds to focus your look to see if is something scrollable or not -
> but if the bar is colored and visible you will know from start if  is
> something to scroll....
>
> It's clear, the author is not a fervent reader of usability books -
> but hey - the rest is pretty clear and clean - he has talent he need
> ideas / help not this kind of remarks.
>
> 3. Criticism must be "positive" - I mean -> if something is not good
> -> let solve the problem, talk about problems not shoot the people...
> I'm got tired of  "Neanderthal positivism" on almost all places - this
> community must think in a superior way.
>
> 4. Anyway this theme will make it's history between graphic artists,
> gamers - not office dedicated peoples, etc. On my opinion is one if
> the best dark theme that I see on last months - clearly defined
> buttons, elegant metacity theme. The only drawback -> scrollbars not
> visible.

regardless, it's clear that many people feel very strongly that they
don't like the theme in its current iteration. i suggest you read some
of their comments. my experience of it is also that it's a pretty poor
dark theme.

    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=174096756&m=299007113931&r=299007113931

from:

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080629-horny-for-ubuntu-8-10-first-look-at-intrepid-ibex.html

regardless, instead of just diving in there now and making changes - you
fixing the scrollbars, me trying to return some sane contrast to the
colour palette - i feel it would be wise to provide a central forum for
/users/ of the theme to make constructive criticisms. it could take the
form of a sticky thread setup by one of the moderators at Ubuntu Forums,
alongside similar forums in other languages.

currently, the criticisms are spread both too widely and in contexts not
constructive to collating well-meaning, useful feedback..

cheers,

--
julian oliver
http://julianoliver.com