[ubuntu-art] Define the elements of 8.04's design

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 00:58:37 GMT 2007

Looking over the mockups, it's easy to see what's getting popular, and what
the overall look should resemble; The only problem is, we're all making
these designs and unless the "perfect" design pops into place, none of our
designs will be the next Ubuntu theme - come 8.04 it will just be the same
bland theme because everyone was waiting for the white whale to appear.

So instead of waiting for someone to just make the perfect theme, why don't
we list the elements, concepts and ideals everyone most likes from the
concepts we've seen?

With a list of generally accepted features, we can start getting some
serious contenders for the default look, because we won't be firing blind,
and we'll have something to work towards

I'll throw a few things out to get things started, and maybe after a little
give & take from we could narrow something down. I'm trying not to be biased
having my own theme in the mix, so please call out anything I throw in there
that seems self-serving. In []'s are themes/concepts that use whichever
feature, with "Mailing List" just being anything bounced around here.

 - No Gloss, Use Gradients [Kerberos, BasicIdeals, Mailing List]
 - "Unified" titlebar/toolbar [Hardline, BasicIdeals]
 - Semitransparent Windows, panels (providing GTK uses Cimi's mod, or we use
a modified GTK) [Kerberos, Hardline, BasicIdeals, Mailing List]
 - The theme should feel "lightweight" [Thorwils' Design, FloodCassos'
Design, Mailing List]
 - Custom icons/notifications to match panels [Mailing List]

--
-Ken Vermette