[ubuntu-art] SVG engine

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 23:27:49 GMT 2007

What Emrah Ünal is getting at, is that while most engines support the SVG
format, they can't yet make full use of them. It's like buying a
high-definition DVD player (or blu-ray, whatever) and watching it on a
regular TV - you have the potential, but you can't use it.

Specifically how it works, is the engine takes your SVG, renders it once at
a 1:1 scale, and then uses the render to save processing power.

I support SVG graphics because down the road engines will probably improve
in this area with  the advent of high-definition monitors. It's all still
very new, so it will take some time for resolution-independence to be built
into an engine - and take even longer for it to run efficiently...

On Dec 23, 2007 12:09 PM, AA Boy <smartboyathome at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a GTK engine specially made for SVGs. I was just thinking this
> could be used because we could make themes for several screen sizes.
>

> On 12/23/07, Emrah Ünal <eunall at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What do you mean with SVG engine? Pixmap gtk engine can already handle
> > svg images. In fact svg images do not have a visible advantage vs png
> > images with current stretching model.
> >
> > On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 10:55 -0800, AA Boy wrote:
> > > I think we should use the SVG engine in future releases. It does need
> > > some work, but that could be done for 8.10+. Anyway, what does
> > > everyone else think?
> > >
> > > Smartboy
> > --
> > Emrah Ünal < eunall at gmail.com>