[ubuntu-art] On the art of creating usplash images

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Tue May 30 09:23:05 BST 2006

On di, 2006-05-30 at 10:11 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:

> That looks really cool. I, for one, would have totally liked being
> able to preview my usplash like that and also convert it to a package
> with a single click. Great job!

It converts to code-to-integrate-into-a-package, not a standalone
package.

> The thing is, though, that I feel most people would rather work on
> doing more revisions to the usplash appearance rather than just a new
> image for the next release cycle. I too have plans, though not as
> radically new as some other people's plans, but they involve more
> things that just changes within the currently existing frame.

Could you tell me more?

> It still looks like an awesome piece of software, though, and it will
> be very useful in the future, without a doubt. Does it also fix
> palettes? That in particular is a tedious task.

No, as input it currently takes either .so files or png images of
correct size and number of colors. It is not an image editor, there are
much better tools for that than a simple few-hundred lines of python :)

> P.S.: like I've talked about earlier, both here and in the Ubuntu-
> devel list, I really think that we should replace the current usplash
> BDF font with a new one. I already created one a while back which was
> monospaced. It was too late to get one in for Dapper, but is it
> possible to sneak in something like that in a Dapper update, or would
> this be considered to be too big of a change; something an update
> should not do?

Maybe in backports. Could you send me the font so I can experiment a bit
with it (and add it to my patches to make the life of usplash
maintainers easier since they were planning to integrate it in edgy).
--
Dennis K.

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.