[ubuntu-art] On the art of creating usplash images

Michiel Sikma omega at avalanchestudios.net
Tue May 30 09:11:19 BST 2006

Op 30-mei-2006, om 10:04 heeft Dennis Kaarsemaker het volgende
geschreven:

> Hi all,
>
> Please have a look at
> http://www.kaarsemaker.net/images/usplash-viewer.png and tell me
> whether
> such an application would be useful to you. Currently it can open
> usplash .so files, display them and change paameters. What I have
> planned is a big 'convert this png into an usplash library' button.
>
> I can't give you the code yet as it depends on a few usplash patchs of
> mine (filed as wishlist bug in LP), but the teaser screenshot
> should be
> enough to get an impression.
> --
> Dennis K.
>
> Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

Hey Dennis,

That looks really cool. I, for one, would have totally liked being
able to preview my usplash like that and also convert it to a package
with a single click. Great job!

The thing is, though, that I feel most people would rather work on
doing more revisions to the usplash appearance rather than just a new
image for the next release cycle. I too have plans, though not as
radically new as some other people's plans, but they involve more
things that just changes within the currently existing frame.

It still looks like an awesome piece of software, though, and it will
be very useful in the future, without a doubt. Does it also fix
palettes? That in particular is a tedious task.

Michiel

P.S.: like I've talked about earlier, both here and in the Ubuntu-
devel list, I really think that we should replace the current usplash
BDF font with a new one. I already created one a while back which was
monospaced. It was too late to get one in for Dapper, but is it
possible to sneak in something like that in a Dapper update, or would
this be considered to be too big of a change; something an update
should not do?