[ubuntu-art] Faster Theme Engine...found a good one!

Billy Billy at cozyteapot.com
Wed May 17 22:57:41 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 16:53 -0400, Viper550 wrote:

> Well, you say you needed a faster GTK engine than ClearLooks? Well, I
> found this pretty good one called RezLooks, he basically stripped out
> all the parts from ClearLooks he didn't like (such as rounded corners
> for instance). He says it's faster than ClearLooks CVS because of the
> stripping (ClearLooks from CVS is the new Cairo one, in which
> Ubuntulooks is based off), so that might be pretty good!
>
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=39179
>
> This might be a good idea for inclusion, maybe with a recolored version
> of the Human theme with support for this engine? Since for some reason
> you were debating over Mist or Smooth or something like that...
>
> Viper550

May be faster than clearlooks-cairo but it's noticably slower than the
others, because it's cairo. It doesn't look good and complete, because
it's a mix/mash of flat and gradient. I like where it is going, if it
continues to go in the direction of the new buttons and the rest of
widgets follow, but right now it is too new, too imature, and going to
go through a lot of changes before it is complete, provided the author
continues to work on it. It will be a nice gtk engine addition someday,
if the project moves forward. It's not even a 'looks' anymore. I wish he
released the square clearlooks-cairo hack as Rezlooks and made this
independent from 'name_looks' since it has no resemblance.