[ubuntu-art] Idea regarding themes

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Thu Jun 22 14:21:25 BST 2006

Michiel Sikma wrote:

> Op 22-jun-2006, om 9:48 heeft Mark Shuttleworth het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Michiel Sikma wrote:
>>> I've been thinking about how to retain consistency between different
>>> types of Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu). Perhaps we could
>>> simply make sure that the default themes that exist for the
>>> different distros are somewhat universal?
>>>
>>> For instance, Kubuntu could have a blue theme. It should preferably
>>> look as much like the Ubuntu default theme as possible, barring the
>>> color set. Then we should include that blue theme not just in
>>> Kubuntu, but also in Ubuntu. And the other way around, of course,
>>> there should be an orange theme for Kubuntu.
>>>
>>> This way, we can retain consistency between the different types of
>>> Ubuntu and also adhere to the thought of making several color styles
>>> for the default theme. I'm not sure if this is entirely possible to
>>> perform, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
>>
>> We have an official "policy of independence" between the flavours of
>> Ubuntu. They are basically required to collaborate on bits that
>> overlap, like kernel, but can be totally independent w.r.t. things
>> like art and style. My only requirement of consistency is that they
>> ALL be *consistently*:
>>
>>  * world class (looking DAMN good)
>>  * distinctive (if you see a screenshot you should KNOW it's
>> Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Ubuntu)
>>
>> Please turn this into an FAQ so that we don't have the same debate
>> time and time again!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>
> I don't exactly know what you mean; do you mean that since there's a
> "policy of independence", this idea should not be implemented (if
> possible or viable at all), or that since the different flavors of
> Ubuntu _can_ be totally different (but don't have to), this idea _can_
> be implemented if we want to go through with it?

Independence means that the art teams of each of the distributions are
free to choose whether or not they want to borrow themes and memes from
others. The idea is that the KDE community should love Kubuntu (that's
more important than that Ubuntu loves Kubuntu). Upstream communities for
Gnome, XFCE and KDE must each effectively feel that Ubuntu / Xubuntu /
Kubuntu reflect THEIR vision.

So, I would like the artists of Kubuntu and Xubuntu and Ubuntu to stay
in close contact, share ideas, borrow freely. But we will not *instruct*
them to "follow a consistent look and feel". The only consistency we
demand is that they be consistently world class, and consistently
distinctive.

This is important for the art teams to understand. We need to act in a
way that shows off KDE / Gnome / XFCE brilliantly.

> It would seem that you're okay with this idea as long as the themes
> adhere to the criteria you listed, but I'm not sure. :)

No, I'm not OK with the idea, because the way it was phrased suggested
that we should "make them look consistent". They have the right to be
independent, to make the decisions that are best for THEM, and we should
not be enforcing "consistency" over their wish to be independent. We
should propose good ideas, but let the individual brands / distros
choose the ideas they want to integrate.

Mark