[ubuntu-art] Idea regarding themes

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Thu Jun 22 15:18:01 BST 2006

Op 22-jun-2006, om 15:21 heeft Mark Shuttleworth het volgende
geschreven:
>> It would seem that you're okay with this idea as long as the
>> themes adhere to the criteria you listed, but I'm not sure. :)
>
> No, I'm not OK with the idea, because the way it was phrased
> suggested that we should "make them look consistent". They have the
> right to be independent, to make the decisions that are best for
> THEM, and we should not be enforcing "consistency" over their wish
> to be independent. We should propose good ideas, but let the
> individual brands / distros choose the ideas they want to integrate.
>
> Mark

They definitely should have their own identities. You're right, we
should drop the idea of "making the themes look as similar as
possible", although I do think it might be a good idea to have all
different Ubuntu flavors share color schemes. Ubuntu would have its
default theme in three colors; orange, blue, grey, as would Kubuntu
and Xubuntu; it's a good way to get some nice different color schemes
in the distro while giving the other flavors a wink. Of course,
that's only if the other art team members feel that this is a good
idea and if the devs of Kubuntu and Xubuntu are up for it.

Otherwise, we could simply make three themes for Ubuntu which use
orange, blue, and grey, without doing the same for the other flavors.

Michiel