[ubuntu-art] Progress update on the community process

Frank Schoep frank at ffnn.nl
Wed Aug 9 22:30:23 BST 2006

Hello artists,

I can imagine many of you are wondering what is happening behind the
scenes so I'll present a status update on the progress of the
community artwork process.

What I am doing right now is writing down the directions we will
follow for each of the four artwork targets. This basically consists
of several steps: first I'm defining overarching styles that run
throughout each artwork target, for example a style which only uses
the Circle of Friends logo as a branding element. Currently I have
defined three of these styles, currently called "Circles", "Rounded"
and "Failsafe". These styles describe the elements and compositions
for each artwork target, but do not define textures and colors.

That's the second part: I'm defining two "looks" which do describe
the textures, gloss and reflections to use. By combining the two
"looks" with the three styles, there are six possible artwork
directions which are fully described. By limiting production to those
six and quickly evaluating what does and does not work out, we can
save a lot of wasted energy and focus on the artwork directions that
work out beautifully.

The finishing touch is the use of palettes. "Looks" themselves will
not describe the color usage for elements, those will be provided by
palettes. We will leave out palettes in the early game and work
towards applying and refining one once the style and look direction
becomes clear. I will offer some initial palettes so that you can
have a base to work from. Describing the styles, looks and palettes
will be finished tomorrow, after which I'll make sure that these get
an official approval stamp.

Besides the community artwork, I'm working and collaborating with a
lot of people to get other artwork related things done. Think of the
GTK Theme tweaking and assisting the Theme Teams. I'm also following
and talking with Pete Savage's on his sound work which is developing
nicely.

Thanks for reading. I'll be here to answer all your questions and
comments.

With kind regards,

Frank Schoep