Rejecting squeak

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 3 01:44:41 GMT 2008

Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Jordan,
>
> I have to reject squeak from source NEW:
>
>  * There is no general license statement. There is COPYING in
>    platforms/unix/doc/, but that does not obviously apply to Cross/.

hmm, right.

>  * platforms/unix/doc/ has LICENSE (Apple Software License), COPYRIGHT
>    (GPL), and COPYING, which tries to introduce some pretty weird
>    limitations. E. g. it requires you to install COPYING, although
>    this is usually called 'copyright' in Debian/Ubuntu and not copied
>    verbatim again.
>
>    This makes the applicable license unclear.

Because this is just the VM and not distributed as a part of a squeak
distribution (like squeakland, croquet, etc.) I believe COPYRIGHT is the
correct license. This, of course, is not immediately clear.

>  * ./unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource.{pdf,ps,html} is apparently
>    generated from a LaTeX source, but it's not included in the source
>    distribution. This violates the GPL.

Hmm, not sure what to do with this one as I don't have any control over
it although it seems a bit of a stretch, IMO, to me to call it a GPL
violation as I would consider PDF, ps, and HTML to be much preferred
formats over Latex in terms of distribution/modification.

>  * Various files like ./platforms/unix/misc/VMMaker-tpr.14.mcz are ZIP
>    archives which contain binary-only data. Please clarify what kind
>    of files those are, and whether they are in the preferred form of
>    modification.

I believe these are in there preferred form for modification but I'm not
positive as I don't honestly know much about smalltalk.

Overall, these squeak packages are quite a bit better than what's
*already* in Multiverse (since Breezy). It'd be a shame to have Hardy
without these packages but I *do* appreciate the responsibilities you
have to keep the Ubuntu archives in good order.

-Jordan