A Cry for Help--I broke Gedit "save-as" file chooser!

James Buchanan jbuchanan at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 18 03:35:50 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 08:41 PM, Dave Hunt wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 11.10 and using Gnome fallback position, though I'm not
> sure the desktop matters, I can  no longer use the 'save-as' file
> picker in gedit.  When I hit the 'save' button, the dialogue and gedit
> crash, leaving no file saved.  This worked after install; I'm not sure
> what I changed.  Any idea where to look?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Dave

Clearly the Linux gods are telling you to use Emacs. ;-) (I kid, I kid...)

Can you reproduce this bug? Does it always happen when you try to save a
file, or only sometimes?

If you launch GEdit from a terminal and then get the crash, are there
any error messages left in the terminal?

There are a couple of bugs in Launchpad with crash-on-saving issues
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/832117 and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/839760 -- though
the latter is marked incomplete), but they all seem to concern crashes
where the file is saved successfully despite the crash. Depending on
what sort of error you're getting, it might be a good idea to file a new
bug for this.

James

P.S. -- sorry for the repeat emails, Dave -- I forgot to select "reply
list" on my first one. :-)