installing ubuntu with windows

mike coulombe kb8aey at verizon.net
Fri Jan 11 23:41:37 GMT 2008

Hi, here is my situation. I may be getting a laptop with windows vista on it. Normally I format the drive and install windows, leaving free space for ubuntu. Then I simply tell the installer to use the free space.
However, This unit has the restore for windows on the hard drive, so I can't completely format and partition the drive.
   I have heard that ubuntu can run on the same partition as windows, but have never done this. Does anyone know how I would set this up.
   I saw a windows install program on the CD, but it only seems to create a directory and copy a few files to it. How do you install ubuntu and get the system to boot into it this way.
Thanks Mike.