nvidia-experimental package with expedited SRU process?

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 4 13:45:35 UTC 2012

As a side note, I believe the ethos behind the "nvidia-current" name was to
represent the presently stable nvidia driver version.  Appending the
-updates to "nvidia-current" or -experimental to it may be convoluting that
namespace and/or confusing the user.

Would just making it "nvidia-stable", "nvidia-updates", and
"nvidia-experimental" perhaps make more sense?

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hello Bryce,
>
> Bryce Harrington [2012-09-03 17:17 -0700]:
> > > I guess this selection should also persist across dist-upgrades, for
> > > people opting in to "always stay on the bleeding edge"?
> >
> > Well, my vision here is not for supporting users wanting to be on the
> > bleeding edge, so much as providing required driver support for
> > particular commercial games.
> >
> > The use case would be that a user purchases a game that needs a beta
> > driver; the beta driver gets installed and they can play their game.
> > Later they upgrade to a new ubuntu that includes the latest released
> > -nvidia driver; that version is sufficient for playing the game they
> > bought.  So it isn't important to keep them on the beta driver at that
> > point; we could return them to stock without issue.
>
> Ah, thanks. This use case indeed calls for the "one-time enabler"
> behaviour, not a permanent selection.
>
> > Maybe the right question for this case is, is it feasible to move them
> > from the -beta driver back to stock on upgrade?
>
> Sure. The experimental driver in the final release is an empty
> transitional package pointing to nvidia-current. The first n-c-e in
> -updates will then drop the Depends: nvidia-current and go back to
> Conflicts:/Replaces: nvidia-current and ship its own driver.
>
> I just saw that our current nvidia-current-updates does not yet
> conflict to nvidia-current; I think it should only ever be possible to
> install one nvidia package flavour at a time, so that the alternatives
> are being handled automatically (since we do not have a GUI for
> switching between them).
>
> Martin
> --
> Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de