nvidia-experimental package with expedited SRU process?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 4 05:17:39 UTC 2012

Hello Bryce,

Bryce Harrington [2012-09-03 17:17 -0700]:
> > I guess this selection should also persist across dist-upgrades, for
> > people opting in to "always stay on the bleeding edge"?
>
> Well, my vision here is not for supporting users wanting to be on the
> bleeding edge, so much as providing required driver support for
> particular commercial games.
>
> The use case would be that a user purchases a game that needs a beta
> driver; the beta driver gets installed and they can play their game.
> Later they upgrade to a new ubuntu that includes the latest released
> -nvidia driver; that version is sufficient for playing the game they
> bought.  So it isn't important to keep them on the beta driver at that
> point; we could return them to stock without issue.

Ah, thanks. This use case indeed calls for the "one-time enabler"
behaviour, not a permanent selection.

> Maybe the right question for this case is, is it feasible to move them
> from the -beta driver back to stock on upgrade?

Sure. The experimental driver in the final release is an empty
transitional package pointing to nvidia-current. The first n-c-e in
-updates will then drop the Depends: nvidia-current and go back to
Conflicts:/Replaces: nvidia-current and ship its own driver.

I just saw that our current nvidia-current-updates does not yet
conflict to nvidia-current; I think it should only ever be possible to
install one nvidia package flavour at a time, so that the alternatives
are being handled automatically (since we do not have a GUI for
switching between them).

Martin