Role of the "Chair" on the Tech Board?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat May 19 04:31:59 UTC 2012

On 17/05/12 20:13, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> Mark - I know you've felt strongly in the past about having a Chair on
> Boards and Councils, but do we have the specifics of this role
> documented? Perhaps it is it time to re-evaluate the merits?

I think it's valuable to have someone who has a deciding role in the
event of a split in the team. Of course, things can be escalated, and we
prefer not to get into that situation, but it helps even if it's just
that everyone is aware that a decision will get made. I think things
allocated to "the team" are less likely to get done than things for
which a person feels responsible.

It's never been an issue, we could drop the role. Asking Matt to hold
the title is a reflection of the esteem we hold him in, that's unchanged.

Mark