Follow up on Default Desktop Experinece for 11.04

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 13 17:26:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 06:09:52PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 09:24:59AM -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> > I followed up on the @ubuntu-desktop list to let people know that 11.04
> > was still slated to default to Unity, and to give people a chance to
> > escalate concerns. I cc’ed the @ubuntu-devel list as well for
> > completeness. I do not believe any escalations have occurred or that the
> > Desktop team has changed it's plan to default to Unity.
>
> For the benefit of the tech board and readers of this list, here are the
> archive links for those discussions:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2011-April/032890.html
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2011-April/002894.html

I scanned over this, looking for the comments on quality.  In a TB capacity,
I'm not that interested in the debates over this or that design decision, or
how the original decision was made, so much as the central question of "is
it ready to ship?"

Unfortunately, most of the discussion was about the user interface decisions
(and much of that positive).  Here are the messages I pulled out which
pertain to release readiness:

Positive:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2011-April/002894.html (Rick's thread-starter)
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2011-April/002895.html