Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Allison Randal allison at canonical.com
Sat Apr 9 07:21:13 UTC 2011

On 04/07/2011 11:52 PM, Martin Pitt wrote:

> If this is a major issue, then frankly I'd rather just remove the
> whitelist and allow all old-style systray applications than dropping
> Unity by default completely.

Yup, holding the vision for the future while addressing practical
concerns doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, black-or-white. Along those
same lines, another possibility might be Unity by default on the live CD
and on all fresh installs (so the first experience is the modern and
visionary future), but to make the choice more explicitly obvious during
an update (so existing users feel empowered by choice, rather than
surprised by change).

Allison