Not installing changelogs in 11.04

Gerfried Fuchs rhonda at debian.at
Thu Nov 11 09:04:59 GMT 2010

        Hi!

* Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> [2010-11-10 12:15:11 CET]:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 12:09:28PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > From what I calculated, 25 mb were thrown around, which would be a
> > bit more than 3% of a regular CD size - are these numbers correct?
> > Is this difference worth the confusion?
>
> The short answer is: yes.  Space on the Ubuntu Desktop Edition CD is very
> tight.

 Alright, for CDs I can understand, but I am not too sure wether the
difference is really that much with respect to installation size.

> >  This apt-changelog utility sounds quite helfpul. Is this going to get
> > into the regular apt-utils package (within Debian) too?
>
> http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/ and http://changelogs.debian.net are currently
> not compatible with one another, so apt-changelog might require a bit of
> porting for Debian.

 Actually, changelogs.debian.net isn't the proper place,
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/ is the correct one - and they
don't look that incompatible with each other. ;)

 Anyways, we are even currently about to refactor the changelogs/ part
of the packages site because the archive tools are extracing these
information for us and we'll incorporate information from packages in
backports and make it possible to later incorporate extractions from
security too once they are available. In the light of that there might
be an additional directory in there, saying debian, debian-backports and
debian-security, but appart from that it will stay the same.

 Please notice that we have a changelog.html and changelog.txt in there
(and our changelog sends the proper encoding back - a thing you might
want to fix on changelogs.ubuntu ;))

 It might be interesting to work with the person that is responsible for
changelogs.ubuntu.com - because I'm not too sure if this should really
be kept seperate, or what the background for that was actually.

> >  See above, network access is not always available. And would
> > apt-changelog offer a possibility to call it on a networked computer to
> > download them all and transfer them through usb stick to a system to
> > store them in their expected place? Would apt-changelog actually store
> > the changelog in the expected place?
>
> It doesn't sound appropriate for a tool which displays the changelog to then
> stuff it into /usr/share/doc (which requires root, read/write fs, etc.).

 Right - of course it would need root permission. But it might be
considered a useful addition, consider it as a wishlist report. :)

> I'm sure there are many ways in which apt-changelog could be improved and
> extended, but that we only need minimal functionality in order to meet our
> objectives in Ubuntu.

 Right - release early, release often. And when it works for the
immediate problem it's more than just good enough for a immediate
release. But that doesn't mean that it should stick at that point.

 Enjoy!
Rhonda
--
<dholbach> Last day of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek starting in
           34 minutes in #ubuntu-classroom on irc.feenode.net