Not installing changelogs in 11.04

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 9 23:18:25 GMT 2010

On 09/11/10 10:42, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> So, we might want to take this chance to discuss how to properly point
> users to where the work which is part of the packages they use come
> from. For instance, AFAICT we lack a standard (e.g. package fields)
> way to say where a package come from (i.e. is the "most upstream"
> maintainer Debian or Ubuntu?) and who is the "most upstream" maintainer.

Indeed. Even having a standard way to point to the changelogs for
packages in an archive, or specific packages, would be really useful.
For example, if the archive said "you can find changelogs for these
packages at <some url with subs for pkg and version> then tools could
Just Work, including non-standard archives like get-deb and backports
and ppa's.

And s/changelog/upstream/ too.

Mark