Not installing changelogs in 11.04

Stefano Zacchiroli leader at debian.org
Tue Nov 9 10:42:42 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:33:19AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> I've seen that in the IRC log as well, but we are just changing the
> "access method" to the changelog, not the changelog itself. It's not
> intended to change/remove any attribution here. Didier, can you please
> elaborate why you think that would be the case?
>
> If that's generally seen as a blocker from Debian

Personally, I wouldn't call it a real blocker, but I think we can all do
better in understanding how to give credit to our upstreams. As usual, I
think Debian and Ubuntu are in a very privileged position, as they are
the two largest distro collaborating in such a tight way.

So, we might want to take this chance to discuss how to properly point
users to where the work which is part of the packages they use come
from. For instance, AFAICT we lack a standard (e.g. package fields) way
to say where a package come from (i.e. is the "most upstream" maintainer
Debian or Ubuntu?) and who is the "most upstream" maintainer.

Maybe, we can draw from this experience the need of standardizing such
information. In doing so, we might also imagine a way to outsource the
information; that would benefit not only the goal of Ubuntu here, but it
will probably also make happy maintainer of embedded distributions. Of
course such a discussion should not happen in private mail among us and
I can't imaging a better place for that than the -derivatives mailing
list.

If we arrive at defining a standard way to give credit for packaging
work, and if we advertise it properly, I'm sure we will be able to avoid
bad feelings on these topics forever and ever in the future.

Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams