ubuntu-drivers revisited (Re: my membership in ubuntu-drivers is about to expire)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed May 26 12:16:53 BST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:04:23PM +0100, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Is there room in the new process for a dialog about concerns like this one,
> > which may not be quite at the "convince someone to take action" stage, but
> > more of the "generate ideas for how to deal with this problem" stage?
>
> Talk about it on the Launchpad development list.

That's where I first formally raised the question in June of 2009.  Curtis
Hovey helped us to assemble a list of the privileges actually held by this
team, and we explained how the corresponding tasks are actually done in the
Ubuntu project (and by whom).

> You may well find some resistance, since the Launchpad team has many,
> many ideas on how to deal with the many problems that we have yet to
> solve. Do you see much point in discussing ideas for how to do work
> that we don't plan to do?
>
> I don't like being a wet blanket, and would welcome positive suggestions.

With a slight revision to your question, yes, I do see a point in discussing
ideas for how to solve problems, even if the Launchpad team hasn't decided
to write any code yet.

Beyond "yes we will write code now" or "no we will not write code now",
perhaps there are suggestions for how we could better cope with the way
Launchpad works today?

--
 - mdz