Proposal to Release Ubuntu 10.10 on 10.10.10

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Mon May 10 10:01:33 BST 2010

On 10/05/10 09:40, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I think that there are a lot of ways in which this "unique marketing
> opportunity" could be exploited (through press, events, viral
> marketing, and so on) and that the technical release schedule is
> neither an effective nor an appropriate choice.

I'm not sure what the ""'s were for, there ;-)

Press, events and viral marketing are far less impactful. The release
itself is highly symbolic, and aligning it with a symbolic date is
meaningful. People are moved by that sort of thing. It resonates with
them. I appreciate that it's a highly unusual proposal but think the
uniqueness of the occasion warrants the discussion.

I would second Scott's point about moving away from the last week of the
month, as a policy that should persist. This is also a slightly longer
cycle, and UDS is slightly earlier, so the actual effect on development
time is less than one might immediately assume.

Also, I believe there are several areas where Plan B's are already in
place to accommodate critical path items that may be at risk over those
extra 10 days, such as the network manager on UNE proposal.

Mark