Proposal to Release Ubuntu 10.10 on 10.10.10

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon May 10 09:40:51 BST 2010

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 01:15:09PM +0200, Robbie Williamson wrote:
> I have been approached with a proposal to move the release date up by 3
> weeks to 10/10/10, to take advantage of a "unique marketing
> opportunity".  As Platform lead for Canonical, I don't feel it's a
> decision I nor the Canonical Platform managers should make alone, as it
> affects *all* developers/contributors to Ubuntu.  With that said, I
> would like the Technical Board's input on making the change, and whether
> or not it needs to be discussed on ubuntu-devel or at least at UDS
> before deciding.  I've created a 10.10 schedule[1] based on this
> proposal for an easier analysis of the impact of this change.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseScheduleProposal

The first priority for the release schedule is that it be accurate, i.e.
that we are able to achieve our technical goals for the release within the
available timeframe and deliver the product.

I think that there are a lot of ways in which this "unique marketing
opportunity" could be exploited (through press, events, viral marketing, and
so on) and that the technical release schedule is neither an effective nor
an appropriate choice.

--
 - mdz