china buying software

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 20 14:45:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:50:16 +0100 (CET)
"Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:

> On Thu, January 20, 2011 02:54, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:42:54 +0100
> > Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> >
> >> Unfortunately, there are probably as many illegal copies of linux
> >> made/sold in China as there are illegal copies of Windows
> >
> > How is an illegal copy of Linux even possible?
> >
> > Cybe R. Wizard
> > --
> > Registered GNU/Linux user # 126326
> > Registered Ubuntu User # 2136
>
> It's ironic that a Registered GNU/Linux user doesn't know that it is
> possible to have an illegal copy of Linux. ;-)

You're not reading closely.  I question that there are /as many illegal
copies/ of Linux as of Winduhs, not that Linux illegality is possible.
The failure to release source code is only on the distributor, not the
user.  A copy that it is illegal for a distributor to distribute is
still legal for the user to use, is it not?  The illegality is not the
Linux, but the distribution.

Cybe R. Wizard