Odd...

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 17:42:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hi, Liam!
>
> Yes. That's the reason. 4.0 is a major update. In effect, more of an
> upgrade. :)

Ahh, I see.

I have to say, I don't agree. Keeping people current is a good thing,
surely? I'd think it would reduce the support burden.

To be honest, I do not see much difference. There is a preview pane in
the manager window and that seems to be it. I've installed the new
Guest Additions - do I need to do anything else for USB2 support?

> Also, there is a new model now. Starting with 4.0, there is only one
> download which is all Open Source. Then you need to download extension
> packs to support USB 2.0 devices, VirtualBox RDP and PXE boot for Intel
> cards (and that is not open source).
>
> So no more questions on should I get the "default" version with closed
> source stuff? Or the PUEL version which is all open source. Just get
> VirtualBox. And then decide if you want to add extension packs (of which
> only one is available at this time, but this will - we hope - change as
> people contribute).

That is very interesting and an excellent idea.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com