Odd...

Mon Jan 10 22:29:01 UTC 2011

Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi, Liam!
> >
> > Yes. That's the reason. 4.0 is a major update. In effect, more of an
> > upgrade. :)
>
> Ahh, I see.
>
> I have to say, I don't agree. Keeping people current is a good thing,
> surely? I'd think it would reduce the support burden.

It depends on what the support burden is. With new features come new
bugs. New major versions also often feature different ways of doing
things.
These, it is often thought, increase the support burden substantially
more than just not changing something. It would also very much annoy
people who support these installs - they want bug-fixing updates, but
don't want to come in on Tuesday to find 900 emails asking where the
'save' button has moved to.

It's the age-old compromise between stability and features. Keeping at
the bleeding-edge provides all the latest and greates features, but
does mean a lot more changes for a userbase to work around, and more
bugs to fix.

Ubuntu's quite far towards the new-features side as Linux distros go,
but not by arbitrarily changing the major version of a piece of software
mid-release (that would annoy lots of people). Instead, Ubuntu's
six-month release cycle makes it quite easy to keep
about less-than-six-months-behind the included software.

If you want more cutting edge, the PPAs on Launchpad often let you
keep closer-to-up-to-date with specific bits of software, or it might
perhaps be an idea to try a more bleeding-edge distro, such as Debian
Unstable or, less so, Arch? The closer to bleeding edge you are,
however, the more time you spend fixing things. That's why lots of
people prefer to not be so close :)

--
Avi