sounder Digest, Vol 68, Issue 12

David Sanders dsuzukisanders at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 00:53:48 GMT 2010

> YEAH RIGHT. Do people choose Windows? Nah. Do people choose Ubuntu over
> Kubuntu/Xubuntu/whatever? Nah. For the same reason they use Windows. I
> would rather use Mac OS X or even Windows were it not for the risk of
> getting infected than Ubuntu. I run Kubuntu Hardy and Kubuntu Jaunty. I
> stopped using OpenSolaris with its GNOME desktop and switched to a less
> stable Kubuntu because GNOME sucks. If Sun were not part of the GNOME
> foundation and actually put a bit of effort into getting qt and KDE on
> OpenSolaris, I'd kiss Kubuntu goodbye.

Eh? Don't get your parallel here. How is Ubuntu like Windows? It
doesn't (in a massive majority of cases) come pre-installed, which
means people have to *choose* to use it, so we can apply a measure of
preference to the user numbers. It must also be impressing a hell of a
lot of people to get the following it has now.

Just because *you* dislike the default and switched to Kubuntu, it
doesn't mean that there's suddenly a majority, or that your single
case swings the balance on public opinion.