"Revolution OS" (The Movie).

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 1 17:43:30 GMT 2007

On Sunday 31 December 2006 15:13, Derek Broughton wrote:
[snip]
| No, now you're just making up definitions.  "Linux" is an operating system,
| unless you can find me a reliable definition that contradicts the one I've
| already cited.  I've got no problem labelling Ubuntu as an operating system
| too - but it provides numerous options that go far beyond anything required
| of an operating system.
| --
| derek

I was getting ready to show you a reliable definition of Linux being a kernel
and not an operating system, but it seems the most reliable source now states
the following:

<cite>
"Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix, written from scratch by Linus
Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net.
It aims towards POSIX and Single UNIX Specification compliance."
</cite>

Take directly from http://www.kernel.org in the "What is Linux" section half
way down the page.

And then to totally sick a fork in the whole "Linux isn't an operating system"
debate, you have this from the exact same page:

<cite>
"If you're new to Linux, you don't want to download the kernel, which is just
a component in a working Linux system. Instead, you want what is called a
distribution of Linux, which is a complete Linux system."
</cite>

So it seems there is a Linux operating system, which Ubuntu and the like are,
and then there is the Linux kernel. Wikipedia even states this, which I don't
usually use or deem a reliable source.

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal at ubuntu.com