Ubuntu on Dell (was [OT] Dell Confirmed its move !!!)

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Feb 26 20:34:30 GMT 2007

"Dave Grundgeiger" <dave.grundgeiger at codenouveau.com> wrote:
> From the Dell site:
> "... we are working with Novell to certify our corporate client products for
> Linux ... we are also working with other distributors and evaluating the
> possibility of additional certifications across our product line."
>
> Is anyone at Ubuntu involved with this?

(moving to -sounder, again...)

I tried my chance and e-mailed SABDFL about this the other day, was very
lucky and got a reply, and he said they (Canonical) had already a
contact at Dell, and would talk to him to see what's possible...

> Dell hardware that's certified to
> work with Ubuntu would be a selling point for both products!

I am not sure... I mean they talk about "corporate" clients, not
consumers machines, so for the masses, Linux will still have zero
visibility, when they browse Dell's website looking for a machine to
buy :o(
That said, every little step forward helps and is welcome, and
they did state they were looking to extend certification across their
product line, so I guess this means consumer machines are implicitly
included in this statement, so there is some (thin) hope.
Let's just wait and see...

--
Vince