[OT] Dell Confirmed its move !!!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Feb 26 19:31:05 GMT 2007

(Moving to -sounder where it belongs)

Ouattara Oumar Aziz <wattazoum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last week I posted here a topic of "Dell making a move" With the Dell
> Idea Storm website. Well, thanks to you people, see what happened :)
>
> http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/ideastorm/ideasinaction?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Yeah, saw that the other day. I was happy that they responded so
quickly, however the magnitude of their proposed changes is so modest,
it's rather disappointing. Either they didn't really mean to listen to
users, or they would like to but can't really afford it because
Microsoft and ISV's are putting pressure on them in some way.
For example, Microsoft is probably saying "if you dare to pre-install
Linux on 10% of your consumer machines, I will raise the price of the
Windows licence to render the remaining 90% of your machines
overpriced and you will go bankrupt in 6 months!".
As for the stack of unwanted software they install by default on top of
the OS, I understand they actually get some revenue from that, which
helps Dell offer competitive prices. So I guess again, not installing
these software would increase the price of the machine, and again this
would result in people buying elsewhere, cheaper.
Sadly, I can't see an easy way out for Dell, unless there is a
concerted, synchronised effort from all major PC vendors :o(

--
Vince