Ubuntu has nearly the same logo as the Microsoft Alumni Network

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 03:50:51 BST 2006

On 10/4/06, Joel Bryan Juliano <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/06, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2006-03-10 at 23:04 -0400, Andrew Hunter wrote:
> > > Check out the bug [0]. Thought that this might warrent disscussion if
> > it has
> > > not been raised before.
> > >
> > > [0] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/63890
> >
> > That logo seems to be a variation of the typical 3-people logo Microsoft
> > seems to be using nowadays for various online services.  For example
> > check the image on the bottom right ("About Spaces") on this page:
> >
> > http://spaces.live.com/
> >
> > And of course some of us can remember this old debate over a year ago
> > about the previous Microsoft Spaces logo:
> >
> > http://benhourigan.com/archives/2005/04/09/microsoft-copies-ubuntu-logo/
>

> If the Ubuntu logo is a copyright logo, I think they have the right to
> press charges, since according to O'Reilly's "Understanding Open Source
> and Free Software Licenses"<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/osfreesoft/book/ch01.pdf>
> copyright protects the "expression of an idea.".
>
> I think they copy the same expression of the Ubuntu Logo.

On the other hand, pressing charges is a bad move, it's expensive, and MS
doesn't worry about where to get the money to spend agains their lawsuits.
and it's the only way the proprietary corporation's model of getting money
nowadays.

That is why "my face turns red and my hearts fly" with Open Source and Free
Software, Thanks for Creative Commons and GPL, lawsuits is 50% out of the
picture.