[GNU/FSF Press] Press release: FSF announces release of gNewSense 1.0

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Nov 6 20:23:56 GMT 2006

Robin Sonefors wrote:

> mån 2006-11-06 klockan 09:27 -0400 skrev Derek Broughton:
>> It's not part of the _distribution_.  As for its use by developers, how
>> do
>> FSF plan to not take advantage of the fact that it _was_ used?  That's
>> why
>> I called it nonsense.  They can't use Ubuntu without indirectly using
>> Launchpad, and _anybody_ can use Ubuntu without directly using Launchpad.
>> They've built a strawman argument that wasn't even necessary to support
>> their (generally) reasonable project.
>
> It is part of the distribution. Ubuntus packages are patched to contain
> menu items for translating and for bug reporting which directs people to
> launchpad.

OK, you gnome guys are going in a completely different direction from
Kubuntu, then.  I've never come across anything that touched launchpad
(though now that you mention it, I did remove gnome apps once the
dependencies started including something like "launchpad-integration".  So
maybe if they wanted an Ubuntu without Launchpad, they should have started
with Kubuntu!  You can clearly _still_ use Ubuntu without launchpad.

>> I might go so far as to point out that if they refuse to use Launchpad
>> for bug-tracking, they're going against the very spirit of their
>> organization - taking without giving back to the community.
>
> Don't even go there. Really, don't. Do Ubuntu's menu items lead people
> to Gnome Bugzilla (for instance)? No.

Too late - I'm there.  Kubuntu menu items very much DO lead you to KDE's
bugzilla.  Given that we're encouraged to submit bugs both to Ubuntu &
upstream (where appropriate), this is a good thing.

> Do Debians? Yes!

Your point?

> And, mentioning Debian, what's all this noice I hear about Ubuntu's
> debdiffs? Apparently, some Debian developers are (were?) very
> dissatisfied about the way they are (were?) distributed.

Some developers will be dissatisfied about what _anybody_ does with their
source.  It was never an issue with Debian, only with some Debian
developers.  I'm sure _some_ Ubuntu devs were equally to blame.  afaict,
this has been a completely dead issue for more than a year.  In any case,
the problem was the reverse of what I mentioned - some Debian devs were
refusing to accept patches from Ubuntu, but Ubuntu was trying to send their
changes upstream.
--
derek