Starting Ubuntu

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed May 10 01:27:05 BST 2006

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 19:20, Lee Revell wrote:
> gmplayer uses GTK2 and looks great on my system, although the GUI
> was clearly an afterthought - changing the settings while a movie
> is playing leads to bizarre results.  For example the "panscan"
> setting is not remembered across restarts and has no effect until
> you mouse over the control in the GUI (!)

I find I can never get the hang of gmplayer - too much poking and
fiddling at tiny buttons, then I have to hunt through the dialog
looking for settings.

Counter-intuitive as it seems, I can search through the man page (all
6408 lines of it), find the required option, and enter it on the
command line - all much quicker than using the gui.

But that's me - horses for courses I guess

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za