Starting Ubuntu

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon May 8 22:39:58 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 05:16 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> a positive review.. though I'm not sure which version  they used :-P
> http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/starting_ubuntu.html

Isn't this really bad?

"Ubuntu (and most other varieties of Linux) handle peripherals very
well. Plug in a USB memory stick and within a few seconds a 'removable
disk' icon appears on the desktop and then the file browser opens
'usbdisk' ready to write to. Couldn't be easier. Unplug it and it goes
away without a fuss, no nasty warnings about safe removal or anything
like that. External hard drives are automatically mounted in the same
way, as are MP3 players, except you get an icon loosely styled on an
iMac."

I don't think it's a feature that it allowed him to rip out a USB drive
without warning him about data loss, which gave him the impression that
it was an OK thing to do.

Unfortunately I've had a related problem with my girlfriend's iPod -
even after unmounting/ejecting it the iPod screen still says "Do Not
Disconnect" and you have to just cross your fingers and yank it.  I've
heard this could be a kernel problem.

Lee