Dapper Shutdown

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Mar 4 21:27:34 GMT 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:01:54PM +0000, Tristan Wibberley wrote:
> >Moderate language of bugreports helps but "politically correct"
> >anything is utter nonsense as by defending one side's "rights"
> >political correcters tend to throw out the baby with the water.
> There are more tactful ways

Of course.

> of expressing how strongly a response it invokes without
> disheartening somebody else, somebody who also cares about it
> being a great logout/shutdown experience.

I'm not promoting harsh bugreports or discussion (maintaining
some 100+ packages and moderating several lists, two of them
being a bit high-volume).  I'm just telling that babysitting
those who must think (and ask if unsure) before changing things.

It's OK to break "logout experience" as long as it's still
possible to log out, as much as I appreciate usability bugs
being considered as more severe than five years ago.

But nursing mature people is not really better to me than wearing
flak jacket to walk down the str^H^H^Hlist to get some bre^H^H^H
things changed.

When a few years ago our initscripts maintainer introduced one
change that would break reiserfs / setups at least in some
circumstances, he would very quickly get things back and be
flameproof since that's breakage.  When I get a bugreport
I prefer clear wording on how critical the problem is, not
blaming me for everything or downplaying one's grief I've caused
not to hurt my feeblings.

> There is a big difference between "ugly" and "not conformant to
> current fashion". I think the Ubuntu graphical style is a case
> of the latter.

I don't buy fashion altogether, sorry. :)

And have no problem with Ubuntu design altogether, nice job.

[taken]

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>