Installing a compiler by default

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:56:41 BST 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 22:51, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 13:38:50 +0200
> Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Only experienced users should ever need a compiler...
>
> Right - and how do people become "experienced" ?
>
> By using things like compilers I guess...

As a computer user who is experienced, know how to program a bit, and can use
a compiler, I can safely say that there seems to be little point in learning
this for the sake of it. It was useful for me, because I like to install some
extra packages, but I don't think this applies to many people (just gut
feel). A computer is just a tool, a very useful one, but it's important to
remember that most people only want to learn as much as they need to to get
the job done. Being experienced with compiling is not inherently positive, it
is only so when it is useful.

Sasha