ethical ubuntu

Harold hrsawyer at comcast.net
Mon Jun 5 16:37:22 BST 2006

This is a very good topic.

Ethics were part of what has led me to the Linux world. (Only part :-) )
I have always had issues with running pirated software on my home
computer. My girls have often complained that "Dad won't install this on
our computer", and I note a general insensitive attitude towards this
issue in the Microsoft User Universe.

Even allowing for inexpensive licensing options for those items which
Open Source cannot offer is a very good direction. I think of
Codeweavers, Win4Lin and others. The religious community would be
concerned mainly with open source audio/video over the internet, along
with the playing of DVD's. Otherwise, Open Source has everything we
would ever need. Our Church uses a Windows laptop to present DVD's
through a projector, uses another windows PC to capture audio during the
service, then my Ubuntu PC to serve the web.

There is a growing religious user base out there that need certain
software tools, but "should" have a conscience concerning using pirated
software. Open Source is made to order for these ethical issues, whether
Christian, Muslim or whatever.

Now as Windows 98 is biting the dust at Microsoft, there are a host of
individuals with functional computers that will have to do something. I
would guess that a huge amount of software on those old machines in
peoples homes are running pirated software from their employers, which
means major costs to replace them the proprietary route.

Harold

?Harold Sawyer
www.SawyerSphere.net
www.centralconnecticutwcg.org

This email has not been scanned for  viruses  . . .
as I am running Mozilla on Linux, they can do little to me.
If you are using IE on Windows, you might want to at least think about using Mozilla for browsing and Thunderbird for mail.