On the subject of naming the Dapper successor

Hidde Brugmans hc.brugmans at hiddenwolf.org
Tue Feb 14 15:34:50 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 15:22 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 15:53 +0100, Carsten Lange wrote:

*snip*

> I think John's point was that in order for Ubuntu to attract a
> professional market, a more serious codename may help. I take Hidde's
> point though that the codename sets Ubuntu apart, and I agree that in
> some markets, that will be a positive factor, rather than a negative
> factor. But there are other markets where that won't be true, I think.
>
> Matt

Obviously there will be a certain class of people that will not look
further than the name. However, these are also the people that will
complain the loudest, and give up easiest when trying Ubuntu as a
product.

It will take far more than a name to convince these people. They need a
company to sell it to them and charge a lot of money for it and their
support and backing, so they can feel safe.

Furthermore if these managers and organisations are not ready to embrace
Ubuntu on its merit, but for some other reason (such as to go with the
trend) a mere name will not convince them. All it could do is make them
slightly more comfortable with a choice they would only feel comfortable
with making anyway if a professional came in and offered it to them.

For this class of customers we have the year.month naming scheme, and I
am not convinced that it is worth giving up a marketing advantage to
please them.

Canonical alone is not big enough to support the rate of growth and
progress that Ubuntu needs to be taken seriously. Anything that helps us
create buzz and enthuse the community further into helping us should be
treasured.

Hidde