On the subject of naming the Dapper successor

Randy Gloden sounder at microbabble.com
Tue Feb 14 23:51:06 GMT 2006

I don't know about you folks, but I would pitch running "Ubuntu Linux"
on the server.  Neither the versions or the names matter much to them,
so I wouldn't use them in the pitch.  They would be in such shock over
the "Linux" part that they would probably miss the "Ubuntu" part
altogether.  They would be lucky to have heard of Ubuntu or Debian.  The
question I would have to contend with is:  "Why are you not going with
Red Hat"  (the name they have heard of) and how we were going to support
it.  Canonical makes the second question easier.

Of course, I can't speak directly to the quality of service offered by
Canonical because I've neither dealt with them in a support context nor
have heard from anyone else that uses their services.  Mark has a
positive reputation for the success of his earlier endeavors so maybe
that would work.

For those that are deep enough into the Linux world to be aware of these
cute animal  name designations, I would think they would also be aware
of the positive publicity the distro has gotten recently.

I don't think it's an issue, but then again, some people judge things
based on things I think are irrational.

--------Randy
www.microbabble.com