Comments about Linux/Ubuntu from a former MS-programmer

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 00:22:36 BST 2006

On 13/04/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is _nearly_ one scenario in which the Windows style of a
> maximized screen (without ability to resize windows without selecting
> restore) works -- that is if you use Apple's Expose (and, I'm sure
> there are copies now for GNOME/KDE).

Came across a minor solution to my problem under OS X:

I made a start page that looked like this and set it to load as my
home page when a new window opened (or you click on home). On Mac OS X
it zooms windows to their full extent. I don't know what sort of
behaviour you'd get with Linux browsers but probably something
similar.

<HTML>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=http://www.google.ca">
<BODY onLoad ="moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth+4,screen.availHeight)";
</BODY>
</HTML>

The HTTP-EQUIV= command tells your web browser to load another web
site (Google in my case), or if you want to keep things local, another
local file. You can also keep things very simple and eliminate the
<META> command. Nothing will open and all that'll happen will be that
the window is resized.

The onLoad= is a javascript command that tells the web browser to
resize the window to maximum size. I had to add +4 in OS X to get the
scroll bar to sit flush against the right side of the window... don't
know what would be needed in Linux?

Eric.