Comments about Linux/Ubuntu from a former MS-programmer

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 14:49:24 BST 2006

There is _nearly_ one scenario in which the Windows style of a
maximized screen (without ability to resize windows without selecting
restore) works -- that is if you use Apple's Expose (and, I'm sure
there are copies now for GNOME/KDE).

What happens is that you can trigger Expose and all the windows of
visible applications are tiled across the screen. You can then click,
tab, cursor or enter to select the window you want. Then you'd have to
worry less about having maximized windows that high-jack the screen.
It's also less of an issue on small screen (<1280*1024) since, with
Windows/GNOME/KDE there's a lot of wasted screen realestate with all
the extra menubars and such so every little real-estate savings
counts.

PS There's a FireFox extension that copies Expose for tabs: Reveal
(it's neat, but I don't really use it that much because, well, tabs
are quite good at organising information in a compact way as is ;-)

Though, one scenario I could see for Reveal is... _disable_ the
display of the tabs tabs (does that make sense? ;-), and then use
Reveal to switch between tabs graphically (of course, there still
would be ctrl-page up/down to do a keyboard/mouse switch).

Eric.