Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Nov 25 11:02:48 CST 2005

Matthew East wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 10:52 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Scott wrote:
>>
>> > Rohan Dhruva wrote:
>
>> I don't get this at all.  Kubuntu is clearly Ubuntu.  It sounds like
>> exactly
>> what it is - a small variation on Ubuntu.  I think it works exactly as
>> intended - like most KDE apps, it begins with a K, so we can expect it to
>> be a KDE version of Ubuntu.
>
> I agree, but you have to go out and broadcast the word to all the users
> who think they can't install kde on Ubuntu, or gnome or Kubuntu. There
> are lots!

You probably do to an extent, but I would expect that even among Linux users
- who are clearly much more willing to change than the average computer
user (not to mention stronger, smarter and better looking :-) ) - 90% of us
use the desktop we started with.  By the time most users might start
looking for a change, I'd expect them to have figured out the similarity
between Ubuntu and Kubuntu.  It certainly doesn't hurt to stress that the
*ubuntu products are variations on a theme, but I think that is done well
with the current naming scheme.
--
derek