John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Wed Nov 9 23:28:37 CST 2005

Matthew East wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 07:26 +0800, John wrote:
>
>>john levin wrote:
>>
>>>Apple attempts 'Rosetta' trademark
>>>http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=13091
>>>and
>>>http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_files_trademark_for_rosetta_its_apples_technology/
>>>
>>>and
>>>http://portal.uspto.gov/external/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1I1/.cmd/ad/.ar/sa.gov.uspto.tow.actions.DetailViewAction/.c/6_0_CH/.ce/7_0_1JJ/.p/5_0_1CH/.d/2#
>>>

>>>Hope this doesn't affect our Rosetta.
>

> I think this might be worth contesting too. The word Rosetta has about
> 10 applications, not least of which are two cities ;)
>
> But more importantly there are two or three pieces of software which use
> the name and the trademark might cause some problems for them, including
> the translation interface we all know and love! I don't really know much
> about trademarks, does anyone think this would be a problem?
>
> Matt

I do know that Ugg boots have been manufactured and sold in Australia by
several manufacturers for 30 years or so. Now some US company (which I
think acquired one of the Australian manufacturers) has trademarked the
name and threatening the others.

Yes, it can be a problem. Aa stitch now may well save nine later. This
is something to take seriously, at least to take to the legals.