John on S8

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Sep 12 21:28:04 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:24:44AM +0800, John wrote:
> Some of the configuration tools -  eg Synaptic - invoke sudo to validate
> the users.

That's because /etc/apt/sources.list can only be edited as root, for
obvious reasons.  The user created in the default Ubuntu install is in
sudoers.

> In other cases where there is no such configuration tool, there is no
> GUI way to edit config files. If I open them in gedit, it's read-only
> (and it took me a while to figure why it was behaving oddly).

Users wh owere poking around in /etc and got the right config file
probably got this advice from somewhere that would've already told them
that they need to be root.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,