John on S8

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sun Sep 12 21:24:44 CDT 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 06:49:43AM +0800, John wrote:
>

>>Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>

>>>Not sure if we can do anything about this; it does try.  I assume that
>>>eject(1) doesn't work after installation either?  Is the hardware capable
>>>of
>>>ejecting the CD?
>>>

>>Stage 1 did it. Eject on Sarge worked. I've been using the box for a
>>year or two, I'd know if that was the problem. Eject works now.
>>

>I now notice that you were talking about stage 2.  Stage 2 doesn't require
>the CD at all, and if you inserted it independently, there's no reason for
>the install process to spontaneously eject it.

Perhaps we differ in terminology. I am referring to what happens after
rebooting as "stage 2."

It asked for the CD, so it should eject it.

>>>[smartmontools]
>>>I've added this to the list of potential features for Hoary; it's something
>>>we should look into.
>>>

>>You also need to provide a means of updating it regularly; at present
>>adding new drives entails changing source and rebuilding.
>>

>It certainly doesn't sound that way from the smartd.conf man page.  Are you
>sure?

I am. It's what I had to do in order to test it with a drive not in the
database.

A lot of stuff is manufacturer dependant, and they change their minds -
legitimately- as they add new features. New features mean monitoring
software needs changing.

I speculate that sometimes it's just that the software doesn't recognise
drive fingerprints. A drive I had that smartmontools didn't recongnise
is quite old - 3.2 Gb.

>>>Computer->System Configuration->Synaptic Package
>>>Manager->Preferences->Repositories
>>>

>>I did say "eg." There are lots more text files.
>>

>I'm afraid I don't see your point, then.  Did you mean to point out that
>there exist text configuration files on the system for which there is no GUI
>configuration tool?

Some of the configuration tools -  eg Synaptic - invoke sudo to validate
the users.

In other cases where there is no such configuration tool, there is no
GUI way to edit config files. If I open them in gedit, it's read-only
(and it took me a while to figure why it was behaving oddly).

Perhaps I've assumed you're trying to do more than you are.